Types of Pricing
Design, Consultation and Rework is $95.00 per hour. I work fast and will give you a quote so you know approximately the total cost to design your new home or remodel. There is no cost to you for having me go and look at your project or have you come to my home office for our first meeting.
- Design Time can relate to the initial layout of the floor plan and elevations. It can also relate to changes to the design that require further thought and time spent on how something will be put together.
- Consultation: Up to two hours of consultation are included in all new projects. However, consultation does not cover the time reworking plans together at the office or on the computer via online meetings, and charges will incur in 15-minute intervals.
- Rework relates to most of the changes made to a plan after it’s been through the preliminary design stage. We alter a few things that is part of continuing the process toward completion. If you wish to take a different direction from the original then rework charges will apply.
- Remodel work will apply any time work is done that falls outside the standard residential drawing practices. Charges will apply any time spent with you and/or with the customer, here in the office or out on the job site. ($500 minimum charge). I will give you an estimate of the total cost once I see and know what is involved to draw the plans. See Remodeling and Additions for more information.
- Important Note about Time and Costs: I have a proven record of producing the desired preliminary layout and style the client has asked for 98% of the time. And the plan is always 100% what the client wants by the time we are done. However, there are times, once the preliminary plan is seen by the client that a different path is chosen. I call this, “working through what we don’t want to find what we want”. This can become a costly way to design a plan. There are times, very rare, where the new direction requires me to start over. This should not be seen as a failure on my part or your part, but rather the path that may be required to obtain the results you are looking for. My costs are kept very reasonable based on this 98% that flow through in a timely manor. However, if you want to explore different ideas to see if you like something or not, more charges will incur for this added time. There is nothing wrong with wanting to spend more time and try things, but note that more time than typical will be spent and therefore more charges will apply. To avoid more charges, give added thought to what you want in your new home before our meeting to provide more specific and clear direction. I do have a questionnaire we will work through together to help bring out those unknown questions, and you will find I ask a lot of questions, and many times to challenge you, making sure we are thinking everything through carefully.
Custom Plan Prices
(How I invoice the cost of a new plan)
- Base plan charges are $0.70 cents per total square foot of Main and/or Second floor and Bonus room if any. Fully detailed to code, plan including all four elevations, ready for Permit and Construction.
- Gables are $35.00 per unit. I.e. number of gables, box or bay windows, dormers, cantilevers, etc. in each elevation view.
- Jogs are $40.00 per unit. I.e. number of jogs, box or bay windows, dormers, open floor interior jogs on each floor including third-stall-garage jogs if any.
- Angled Exterior jogs including angled garage walls – $45.00 per elevation view.
- Stone on elevations – $25.00 per elevation view.
- Brick on elevations – $35.00 per elevation view. (Requires more foundation detail.)
- Daylight or Walkout – $45.00 for each partial or full elevation view.
- Lower Level Area – $0.25 cents per square foot finished and/or future.
- Span-Crete Garage Floors – $120.00
- Zero-Step Foundations – $95
- Any other work such as Plot Maps, Interior Elevations or Cross Sections of special walls, bookcases, fireplaces, frill, etc., will be $95.00 per hour.
- Design and Rework will be charged at $95.00 per hour.
Builders Only – Derivative Plans: Up to 1 hour of free consultation or updating any codes/details are included on duplicated plans only. Consultation (phone calls and meetings) and rework above the 1 hour will be charged at $95.00 per hour.
Please contact my office for an appointment and to receive a more accurate estimate of your home design needs. Any quotes over the phone without seeing the plan/idea/sketches are approximate estimates only.
I require 1/3 to 1/2 payment down once I get started. I will send out an invoice.
Set up a free in person or Zoom consultation or call
Custom Home Designer and House Plans, Luxury Home Designer for cities around Holland, Michigan (MI), including South Haven MI, Hamilton MI, Allegan MI, Zeeland MI, Grand Haven MI, Hudsonville MI, Grand Rapids MI and other smaller towns and villages in Western Michigan (MI).